This is everyday life subjects that come up. My feel on things. Things that come up during the day. Thoughts. Anything that I can write about with passion. Mostly "raw" moments on this journey through Motherhood.

Monday, January 4, 2016

The First Month

This was probably the hardest time with my son so far, because the both of us didn't quite understand each other just yet. Getting to know his "cries" and what he wanted was difficult, but breast feeding was definitely something that you need to spend quality time adjusting to. I spent countless nights trying to get Hunter to attach to my nipple, he always favoured the right one so my left was always so engorged! The first time I had a blocked duct was excruciating! No one warned me about anything really, so I came into motherhood with a blind eye like a lot of women do. I asked numerous questions on mothers pages on Facebook & then made my own mind up whether I thought it was mastitis or not, although I did have a fever over night, everything was back to normal the next day. So I remember this for the next few times it happened! The best advice I can give you is to jump in the shower, start to massage your breast (which ever one is swollen) & always let bubs feed off that one until you feel the pressure is gone.  Now, babies at this age really don't know the difference between day & night so getting a routine happening is near on impossible. You will find your baby sleeps more during the day & less at night. But eventually I was able to put him in some what of a routine, but then he started not sleep at all during the day & waking up at 1am & not wanting to go back to sleep at all! It soon stretched to 4am & so fourth! The best advice I was ever given was "sleep promotes sleep". So I decided I would try countless ways of getting him to sleep more often during the day until he finally was sleeping for big stretches overnight. But I'll be honest, this wasn't even until about 6 weeks. 
You'll eventually get used to the early mornings, I can't say 5am was the greatest time to be woken, but I did adjust soon enough. The best advice I can give you is that your child will only be a baby for such a short amount of time, time literally slips away from us. So embrace the early mornings & the late nights! 

No comments: